Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Finding your critical moments

The first step to changing your habits is identifying your crucial moments. Crucial moments are the times when you find yourself most likely to perform bad habits or behaviors that you'd like to change. For instance, crucial moments for me are after dinner, when I'd like to eat ice cream and when my alarm goes off and I'd rather sleep.

What are your crucial moments? Is it when you eat lunch with coworkers? Is it when you get home from work and you're too tired to go to the gym? Identifying these moments are the key to to changing your unwanted behavior.

What do you do after you've identified those moments. That's when you put your strategies to work. For example, when I want to eat ice cream after dinner I avoid it by:

1. Not buying ice cream during the day
2. Telling my husband that I'm struggling so he can encourage me to make good choices.
3. Choose a healthier dessert. Some of my favorites are decaf coffee blended with cocoa powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, coconut milk and a little bit of maple syrup, a square of dark chocolate with some almond butter, or frozen bananas blended with cocoa powder and almond milk.

I'll take any other suggestions you've got too. This week's training was a little slow to start because I haven't been feeling that well but I'm still on track to complete all the workouts for the week. My evening tonight is very exciting and filled with laundry, knitting a mitten (I need to finish the thumb on it) and reading. I know you're jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment